What is Actos (Pioglitazon)?
Actos is the Pioglitazone hydrochloride brand name, and it is a drug given only with prescription to be used for treating diabetes, especially the non-insulin dependent or type 2 diabetes. Actos may be used with other diabetic drugs or alone depending on the condition of the patient, and as it is a drug which improves the sensitivity of the body to insulin, it is classified as a thiazolidinedione. Increase in the sensitivity means that level of sugar in the blood is kept under control, and Actos will help in preventing the complications related to diabetes like blood vessel diseases, heart attack and neuropathies.
There are various Actos side effects; some of them are mild and you can live with them but some of them are very serious and have even prompted a class action lawsuit. In 2011 they even had to put a warning on their label that states that extended use can put you at risk for bladder cancer.
Despite the risks, many people are still taking Actos for their type two diabetes. Pay attention to the side effects and weight the advantages and disadvantages of this drug before you decide to take it for management of your disease.
Actos Side Effects often Experienced
- Headaches which are mild.
- Sinus infections that may come and go.
- You may have an increase in upper respiratory infections.
- Tooth problems are also common.
- You can have a slight sore throat.
- You can also suffer from water weight gain.
- Allergic reactions that include a skin rash, itching, hives, wheezing and swelling.
Less common, but more serious Actos side effects that you need to treat immediately
- Trouble breathing can be very serious because it could be a symptom of congestive heart failure.
- Low blood sugar that can make you sweat, shake, have extreme hunger, dizzy, have cold sweats, blurred vision, irritable, moody, loss of coordination, difficult time speaking, confusion and even seizures.
- Rapid weight gain of three to five pounds in a week’s time.
- Significant vision changes.
- Bladder cancer and the symptoms are blood in your urine, frequent need to urinate, pain while you are urinating and lower back pain or pain in the lower abdomen.
- Liver problems which may include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, tiredness that cannot be explained, dark urine, loss of appetite and yellowing of the skin.
If you experience any of these Actos side effects, even the more common ones, you should consult your physician because of the controversy that surrounds this drug. You need to be proactive and protect yourself from potentially dangerous Actos side effects. This drug can have even more devastating results the longer that you take it. People who take it for over a year have a much higher risk of getting bladder cancer.
This is a serious condition that can have deadly conditions. Bladder cancer can cause death and this is the reason that many people that have taken Actos and have contracted bladder cancer have a lawsuit against the drug company Takeda. There have been settlements in the seven billion dollar range so this is a very serious situation and the Actos side effects are that dangerous.
If you are taking any drug and you suffer from side effects you should consult your physician of you feel that they are serious. With Actos, you should be very aware of the side effects if you choose to take this drug despite the warnings. If you are taking this drug because you were told that it was safer than other drugs that manage type two diabetes this simply may not be the case and you should do additional research and talk to your doctor about your concerns.
This post was written by the authors at sailla.info. Visit their website to learn more about Actos and it’s dangerous side effects, as well as the current lawsuit associated with the company currently being sued for it’s harmful side effects.